Japanese Shop Owner Receives Backlash From Foreigners For Saying "Work On Speaking Japanese In Japan"

 

Text in photo: 'Yesterday a white couple came into my shop. They said with a blank look "We can't speak Japanese so we can't understand" and then asked me in English "no english menu?", which I responded in Japanese "No". This is Japan. When I visited English speaking countries, I spoke English. Work on speaking Japanese in Japan. If you can't do that, come with a interpreter. "

They continued in a post: "Back then I would accept foreigners that can't speak Japanese. But it takes a long time to take the orders and it's troublesome so after a while I started to refuse their orders because they don't even spend that much money for the amount of effort it takes me. They don't even tip either so it's not profitable in the end so I gave up on dealing with them."
Text in photo: "The different replies on this are quite funny. I should be kind to foreign tourists who cannot speak Japanese when they just want a service? It's troublesome for me so I only speak Japanese. We're not back in the time when we were being occupied after the war where we're obligated to speak English in our bar. So as they say: when in Rome, do as the Romans do"

[+2022, -64]

(source: Girls Channel)

1. [+6693, -60]
I think you should be able to choose who your customers are

2. [+6463, -68]
Well that sounds right. English speaking countries are pretty arrogant aren't they? Thinking it's fine because English is used all over the world. 

3. [+3119, -20] 
I don't understand why this recieved backlash. It's just the owner's way. I also used the native langauge of the country when I tried to buy things in a foreign country, but it didn't matter because they just cursed at me for not understanding them (I could understand www) so I left without buying anything

4. [+2688, -24]
I can't speak English either

5. [+2481, -19]
Stop tourism. The customers think they're above god. All they do is torment the people who live here

6. [+2020, -23]
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

7. [+651, -133]
Don't complain over not receiving tips then. That's because Japan doesn't have a tipping culture

8. [+323, -8]
He got hate because of this?

9. [+168, -2]
Why did this get backlash?

10. [+8, -67]
"When I visited English speaking countries, I spoke English"← What happened to not being able to speak English wwww

Comments

Recommended Posts: